Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Suzanne: Getting Back into Training Mode

Finally starting to feel like I'm starting to get back to the running shape I was in before I got sick. It's really tough - mentally and physically - to get back into the grind but I've had a good week so far. In 4 days (Saturday-Tuesday), I've managed to run almost 22 miles.

Saturday's group training run was 8 miles. Unfortunately for me, it was a hilly run. We started with hills right off the bat and they kept coming. Oh, and we ended with a hill as well just to top it off. It was a tough run but I was glad to have finished it. Supposedly we're running a similar course this Saturday so wish me luck!

The half marathon (Fiesta Days 5/21) that the Fleet Feet group is training for will have hills, so I've heard that the training will over prepare you for that. It actually is a good thing as it definitely will be a change up from my Shamrock half marathon training which was relatively flat (my preference). So at least I know this will take my training up another notch.

Here's my training schedule this week:
Sunday: 4 miles (done)
Monday: 4.25 miles (done)
Tuesday: 5.6 miles - speed training with hill intervals (done)
Wednesday: cross-training
Thursday: 4.5 miles
Friday: cross-training
Saturday: 9 miles
Sunday: hot yoga

In the next few weeks, I'm planning to increase my Saturday runs so I can get a 12 or 13 miler in prior to the half marathon on April 30th. Then I'll resume the Fleet Feet training schedule for the Fiesta Days half marathon on May 21st.

Last week, I had a little pain in my right knee. It was a first for me but it was the side - most likely IT band related from what I've read and can tell. It happened again at mile 7 on Saturday but I was still able to finish the run after stopping briefly to just stretch. I haven't experienced it again but I'm hoping it isn't something that will be occurring on a regular basis.

On the music front - Jenn has introduced me to My Chemical Romance. Here are my favorite songs to run to (in order): Sing, Na Na Na Na, Welcome to the Black Parade, Teenagers, and Famous Last Words. Jenn pointed out to me that in the song Sing - he says "keep running" at one point which is really cool.

The other singer that I have just found and absolutely LOVE is Adele. Beautiful voice and I really enjoy running to: Rolling in the Deep, Rumour Has It and Set Fire to the Rain.

Happy Running,
Suzanne

4 comments:

  1. Hot yoga! You'll have to let me know what it's like, they have an intro class at the gym. Good job on getting your miles in and I'll have to add the other MCR songs to my playlist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. started as a small event to honor and remember one woman has grown into a community of dedicated individuals and businesses united in the fight against women's cancers. For some, KICKIN' CANCER! is a celebration of life and one that they can return to year after year to find strength in the growing number of supporters. For many others, it is a memorial to those we have lost and a great source of comfort. Most of all, it is a day of hope, inspiration, and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you're going to be an even more awesome runner after all of these crazy hill training days!

    I'll have to look into that "Sing" song since the last music suggestion you gave me is now a staple on my running play list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Jenn - I really like hot yoga. I find it's perfect especially after a long run and a good counter to how hard running is on the body. Unfortunately I don't get to go as often as I'd like.

    @FF - Yes, we seem to have similar tastes in music. Good luck on your race...we're rooting for you!

    ReplyDelete

Post your Excellent comment below. Thanks!