Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Suzanne is Sick, Sick, Sick and the Oakland Half is Off

Let me start by saying that I don't usually get sick....I was one week away from running the Oakland Half Marathon and then I knew something was wrong Saturday afternoon. Whatever I got (the flu I think) came on quickly and I was down for the count that night with aches and pains, shivering one minute, burning up the next. I'll spare everyone the rest of the details, but let's just say it was AWFUL!

Four days later and I'm just starting to feel human again - I can't remember a time that I was sick for this long. It's now evolved into a head cold with stuffiness and congestion. It's no wonder I got sick as my daughter has been ill - strep throat and then caught another virus afterwards - for two weeks now. I'm hoping we're both on the path to recovery.

Unfortunately though that means the Oakland Half Marathon I was supposed to run this Sunday is officially OFF. At first, I thought "OK if I feel okay by Monday I can squeeze in a semi-long run and then taper the rest of the week." Then on Tuesday morning it was "No biggie that I don't get a long run in as I can just run a few 3 milers that week and still run the half." But by Tuesday afternoon I knew better...there was no way I was going to be able to run this week, especially not 13.1 miles. And who was I kidding...I can barely breathe today as I'm still stuffed up. Can't blame me for dreaming I guess?

The plan now is to continue to rest, get better and then ease back into running. Of course I've been worrying about how this will impact all the training I've done so far...is it all down the toilet now that I've been out of commission for a week? I really hope not as I've worked really hard to get in the running shape I'm in (or was last week).

Hoping to run sometime this weekend and I'm curious to see how I'll feel. Maybe this break was a good thing for my body? I have no idea but a girl can hope.

Once I'm healthy again I'll begin my training schedule for the next half marathon on 4/30. Hope everyone is having better luck than me in staying healthy!

Happy Running,
Suzanne

5 comments:

  1. Sorry you are sick and going to miss the race. You are making the right decision though. I hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You poor thing! Hang in there & get well! Long term health is more important than a race. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Mike - yes, I do realize I'm making the wrong decision even though at first I really wanted to run (crazy!).

    Thanks runnergirl - you're absolutely right that long-term health is the most important thing! Thanks!

    I am feeling better finally!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww, that's a total bummer. I imagine it had to be a hard decision. I was down for the count with H1N1 right before my first ever 5K. I freaked out that I wouldn't be able to run it --- but lucky for me there was enough of a gap and I could do it. I think you made the right decision. But darn. :(

    I hope you are back to normal super soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks FF - yeah I'm bummed but at least I have another half planned not too far out at the end of April...so I'm going to just concentrate on that for now. :-) I am feeling much better...hoping to be back to normal by this weekend! Good luck with your upcoming half in a few weeks!

    ReplyDelete

Post your Excellent comment below. Thanks!